Apr 8, 2010

Cigar Girl Dresses

These Cigar Girl Costumes are part of a large ongoing order I'm working on for a magician's act, currently performing in Tennessee. The first outfits I've completed are these three identical Cigar Girl dresses with matching hats. The dresses are made from royal blue satin. The underskirt is white taffeta, with handmade taffeta and crinoline ruffles. The ruffles at the bustline are hand-gathered from organza ribbon, and the white trim at the bottom is matching organza.

The hats presented *quite* a challenge for me. I decided to make them from scratch (yeah, I wanted to kick myself in the ass once I started). They're buckram and wire frames, hand-sewn and pieced together. I just stretched the satin over the top and sides, hand-stitched it in place, and glued the white trim on. The *buttons* on the side are just taffeta covered 1.25" buttons (made in my button making machine). I added small combs with elastic to the inside so they would stay on the girls' heads. The hats took me THREE DAYS to make. Yikes. 

All the pieces are "costume quality", which means that they aren't elaborate as a regular commissioned piece would be; but are still the same level of meticulous SugarKitty quality I put into everything I make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment